The Ideas column is the primary workspace of the Custom Crowdsource activity. Contributions that Thinkers are asked to make within the activity, based on the Leader’s questions and/or prompts, are usually entered into the Ideas column.
The Ideas column displays a sub-title in italics, which defaults to the category name to which the idea belongs. It is a recommended Best Practice to double-click on this sub-title and enter a prompt directly related to the question or ideation that the Thinkers are tasked with.The number at the right of each idea in the Ideas column is the sum total of all comments that were made about an idea.
You can enter new ideas in a variety of ways:
- Enter the idea into the Ideas column entry box, and press Enter/Return.
- Cut and paste text from another activity/document directly into the Ideas column entry box and press Enter/Return.
Note: For additional information, see the Moving Data topic.
- Use the right-click menu to copy text, then click anywhere in the Ideas column and right-click again to paste.
- Drag a comment directly into the Ideas column entry box. The entry box turns green when the copied text has been dragged over to the proper location.
Note: Your selection will not appear in the entry box, but is automatically added to the list of ideas.
The default maximum limit of ideas each individual Category can hold is 300, and the default maximum number of comments an idea can hold is 300. The default limits can be changed in the Crowdsource Activity Settings' Limits tab.
Ideas can be reordered within the Second Column or moved into different Categories.
To reorder an idea:
An Idea can be moved up or down the list by clicking on it and dragging it to the desired position. A green line appears as the item is dragged up or down indicating the relative new position. The idea list numbers update automatically.
To move an idea into a different category:
- Select one or more ideas in the Ideas column.
- Drag and drop the selection onto the desired Category in the Categories column (category highlights green). The idea(s) are immediately transferred from the current category (no longer visible on the previous list), into the new category.
Drag and drop the idea(s) into the Categories column entry box (the box is highlighted green). The idea(s) is added as a category at the bottom of the current list in the Categories column. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the idea directly to a position within the Categories column.
Note: If an idea containing comments is promoted to a category, the comments become ideas.